Saturday, January 20, 2007

January 20, 2007

For Ida....

Where We Turn for Our News

We all know the Internet is increasingly important. But I'm always interested in specific research that tells us how important.

The Pew Internet Project recently reported that twice as many Americans used the Internet as their primary source of news about the 2006 campaign compared with the most recent mid-term election in 2002.

On an average day in August, 26 million Americans were using the Internet for news or information about politics!

Pew attributes the increase both to more attractive content and to more prevalent broadband access. More than three times as many Americans had broadband access in 2006 vs. 2002.

Here in Charleston, our mid-term election cycle was dominated by a hotly contested School Board race. A powerful group of five seasoned politicians called themselves The A Team, and were the odds-on favorites to sweep the election.

Their website? It was "under construction" during the entire campaign.

Meanwhile, their opponents made smart and aggressive use of the Internet.

Results? The A Team got trounced.

Project Share: Marketing's New Powerhouse

The Pew study also reports that 23% of those who used the Internet for political purposes actually created or forwarded online political commentary or politically-related videos.

Of course, this peer-to-peer communications is one of the most powerful phenomena in marketing today.

A recent survey reported that as recently as 2003, only 22% of respondents said they trusted a "person like yourself or your peer." That number is now up over 68%.

Friends and family are now the killer communicators...sharing info, videos, opinions, etc. like never before...and, in many cases, simply by-passing traditional ways of marketing.

It's key, then, to find ways to provide marketing materials and messages that are likely to be virally exchanged...like the Folger's coffee "morning" spot that I don't think ever made it out of YouTube but was viewed by millions.

So What's Up with "For Ida"?

I saw her last night ,and she told me she missed my blog; and I was so flattered that I'm gonna get back at it. How shallow am I?!!!

3 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stopped watching television four, almost five, years ago, and I rely upon the internet for all of my news needs. It allows me to control what information I view and when I view it; I don't have time watch a full news program just to get to the handful of stories that interest me. Plus, the internet is so much more immediate. I swap information on a regular basis with a small group of people who also seek unbiased, reliable internet-based news sources. When an email arrives from one of them, I typically take a moment to scan the message since chances are the person has pre-qualified the information as being relevant to my interests.

The bigger picture is the movement toward total customization and consumers' desire to be unique. For my foot shape and stride, the Nike Shox are poor running shoes; however, I am enamored by the customizable options on the Nike ID site and have opted to sport shoes with my name stitched on the heel (in shocking neon green!) versus shoes that actually do something to improve my running habit. Now, who is the shallow one?!? Ha.

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to have you back, David...

Two thoughts which are seemingly contridictory on the subject.

The Ubergeek in me says:
1) You're right, Ida. TV is not as convenient as the internet. Yet. But just wait until you're streaming only the news segments that you want on your whatever's-gonna-be-the-cooler-next-iteration-iPod-type-device on the way into work. It's really just a matter of time...

The Luddite in me says:
2) While the internet is great, and studies show that ad revenue, readership and access to broadband are all up, it is my humble opinion that nothing will ever be as relaxing - or rewarding - as sitting at the table and enjoying the thin, inky goodness that is my morning newspaper ...even if it's just for the Sunday edition...

 
At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Jay, but maybe it's because the internet, with all its Flash, can never duplicate the tactile sensations of newsprint and magazines. And I hate the idea of selecting (or having someone select for me) only what I might like. When Amazon sends me things I might like based on what I've ordered before, they're always always wrong. I've discovered the most inspiring things through serendiptous strolls through the magazines at Barnes and Noble. Just like in the old days, I found what I wasn't looking for in the card catalog at the library. I don't want to control what comes into my brain...I might miss something shocking, amazing, wrongheaded, rightbrained, irritating, eureka-ish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home