Tuesday, November 01, 2005

November 1, 2005

Santa Arriving Early...and Often

Anticipating a weak holiday sales season, many retailers are starting early...very early.

They figure that high fuel prices (for cars...and for heating consumers' homes) are going to dampen holiday spirits...especially when the weather turns colder.

The Postal Service, for example, figures that a penny increase in the price of gas has an $8 million impact on the Postal Service's bottom line.

Remember when holiday season advertising began at Thanksgiving? This year, it started for many in mid October...the earliest time ever.

Only time will tell if fourth quarters do well because of this early push. My money is that all this early bird stuff will have a minimal to negative impact. It just seems to me that the early advertising is being done for the benefit of the retailers. Where's the benefit for the consumers?

I'll bet that the January sales start early too....maybe in mid December. Then the retailers will really be shooting themselves in the foot.

Google Rocks

There's a great piece on Google in the Sunday Times. Check out this fact:

This year, Google will sell $6.1 billion in ads, nearly double what it sold last year. That is more advertising than is sold by any newspaper chain, magazine publisher, or television network. By next year, Goldman Sach's analyst expects Google to have advertising revenues of $9.5 billion. That would place it fourth among American media companies in total ad sales after Viacom, the News Corporation, and the Walt Disney Company, but ahead of giants including NBC Universal and Time Warner.

Read that again, and just think about it! Wow!!

2 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Google but I want a search engine that is a cross between a personal guru and a personal shopper...mysherpa.com (except the name is taken!). My Sherpa would of course lead me to all the best stuff to buy based on my particular tastes, bring me newspaper and magazine articles from around the world (translating them first into English), and gently lead me on a spiritual journey at the same time. Is that on the horizon do you think?

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure if "Google" is in the dictionary as a verb yet, but I am sure it soon will be. I can't count the number of times I have heard the phrase, "google it." Anytime a company/product enters America's active vocabulary money can't be far away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home