Tuesday, July 19, 2005

July 19, 2005

You're right, Claire, thinkingwithtype is a very cool site. I've learned a lot just cruising around it tonight. I like the way she uses a game format to make a point. We're going to add a game to our website (I hope) when we re-vamp it shortly. Games are such a great way to engage people and impart information in a fun way.

"Three Little Words"

I've been thinking about Al Ries's latest riff on branding...he's writing [again] on the importance of being able to describe your brand in just two or three words.

The classic example is Volvo: "A safe car." Another is BMW: "Fun to Drive." (Although I can dispute that, having tangled with BMW's 'I-Drive' which should have been called 'UDrive ... Because I Can't Figure Out How This Thing Works.')

It's a real challenge to think of only a handful of words that adequately describe a brand.

Thinking of some of our clients..."Feels Like Home" really does describe the experience at Piggly Wiggly, I believe. There's a real hometown feeling at every Piggly Wiggly. Staff members are unusually friendly and helpful. And customers just plain feel comfortable and like being there.

Something like "Unique Luxurious Travel Experiences" captures Orient-Express, because each Orient-Express property (or train) provides an experience as unique as its destination. There's absolutely nothing "cookie cutter" about Orient-Express properties. Travelers choose them because they know they will have a luxurious experience in a property that uniquely reflects the distintive character of its destination.

It's fun to try to identify just three or four words to describe other clients.

Or people.

I remember that there was a game people played in Nora Ephron's book "Heartburn." You had to describe another person - or yourself - using only three adjectives. Try it. For yourself...or your brand. It's a great exercise.

As for Rawle Murdy, I'd like to think that we can be described as Smart Marketing Solutions.

1 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for that mind bending exercise of discribing your brand in three or four words. I just could not do it. I own a pet product company for dogs, it's called HARRY BARKER. I have been told that the name is really cute,clever and it makes people laugh ..and bark..and kids like to say it out loud..and then bark. Sometimes we get called Harry Potter/Harry Barker.. there is just something about Harry that makes people happy.

Now when it comes to what our brand is...I am truly at a loss. I only got as far as the name... I need RMA "Smart Marketing Solutins" to help me define what Harry Barker is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home