Monday, June 13, 2005

June 13, 2005

Wal-Mart Comments

Thanks for comments on Wal-Mart. I loved the question of the Waltons, and it reminded me of a poem Kurt Vonnegut wrote in The New Yorker. He and Joseph Heller were at a billionaire's very fancy party in the Hamptons, and Vonnegut said, "Joe, how does it feel to know that our host probably made more money yesterday than 'Catch-22' made since it was published?" And Heller said, "It's fine, because I've got something he doesn't have." "What's that?" "The knowledge that I have enough."

Girls Just Want to Have Fun

So, Nikki is referencing Jon Stewart in The Times, but what about the baby boomer women who are sick of driving SUV's and shuttling children forever so they go out and buy high-end Mercedes cars just for themselves. "Let's go shopping," says one to her friend. "Let's really go shopping."

Nikki, you're the expert on women. What do you make of that?

I'll tell you what I think:

First of all, what a shame that they've led their lives with so much pent-up resentment. Second of all, isn't it just a little sad that the way they please themselves is to please themselves? Third, here's just another reason why marketing to women is such an important skill set. And, fourth, they don't even want to Buy American!

Indeed, The Times also noted that whereas GM had 46% of the American auto market in the '50's, now GM sells just 27%.

Good Idea about the Good Book

My friend the filmmaker George Ratliff has a smart idea for the Democrats. He says that as long as the political dialogue in this country is centered around the Bible, the Democrats should co-opt two of the central issues the Bible addresses: the sick and the poor. These are Democratic issues, says George. The Republicans wrap their views on abortion and homosexuality on non-existent Biblical references. What the Bible DOES repeatedly talk about is the need to help the sick and the poor; and that is exactly what the Democratic Platform addresses.

Well, that's a marketing idea. And a good one, too.

What has been pathetic about the Democrats is that they too often play defense. John Kerry spent the last half of the campaign playing defense. At least Howard Dean isn't afraid to play offense. It drives the Republicans bonkers. And it could change the dynamic.

Games on the Internet

I'm really obsessed about gaming now, having devoured "Everything Bad is Good for You." so I was just delighted today when Kathe Downs came up with an incredibly clever game idea for one of our clients that is targeting families. There are so many exciting ways to make the Internet a compelling marketing tool. "Everything Bad..." talks about how games and the Internet and today's high-energy TV shows (like '24' and 'The Sopranos') are lean-in media that engage the participant. Marketing messages need to fit that context to resonate powerfully today.

2 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you, David. I don't want to be the woman that kind of ad appeals to, but I'm guilty of driving nonAmerican too--and my brother works on the assembly line at Ford! I own a Honda CRV, but what I really want is a Toyota hybrid. Both non-American cars as well, but after being poor for so much of my life and driving used cars that were always on the verge of dying in the middle of rush hour traffic, I want reliability. Sure, I've flirted with convertibles and sports cars, but I want to settle down with a strong silent type that will be there for me through thick and thin. (Also I really do feel guilty about using so much gas when I could drive a car that would benefit me while it helps the environment in a small way.)

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mean to be a blog hog, but one more note on marketing to women...all of us in the Skirt! office, regardless of size, love the new Dove soap magazine campaign featuring real women, real bodies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home